How to manually configure a Cisco SPA500 Series VoIP handset, this guide includes additional settings designed to optimise the handset for use in the UK.
Handsets covered by this guide: Cisco SPA501g, Cisco SPA502g, Cisco SPA504g, Cisco SPA512g, Cisco SPA525g.
Press the Settings button on your handset (the button looks like a piece of paper), then press '9' on the phone keypad.
This will display the handset's IP address under the title ‘Current IP’. E.g. Current IP 192.168.1.126
Type this IP address into any browser window and press Enter, this will take you to the phone's web portal.
At the top right of the page click on the 'Admin Login' link, and then click on the 'advanced' link, this will unlock all options and settings available on the handset.
Click on the User tab, and change 'Date Format' to day/month.
Click on the Phone tab. And enter the below details.
- Station Display Name: SiPalto
- Voicemail Number: *40
- Line Key 1 > Extension > Select '1' from the drop down list, and add the ‘Short Name’ as your extension number or phone number (refer to the below screenshot for the example '1001'.
- Line Key 2 > Extension > Select '1' from the drop down list, and for the ‘Short Name’ clear the text and simply press your keyboard’s space bar once, this creates a blank entry and ensures the text/digits you entered previously isn’t duplicated.
- Line Key 3 > Extension > Change to: Disabled
- Line Key 4 > Extension > Change to: Disabled
Now scroll down the same page to Programmable Softkeys.
- Programmable Softkey Enable: Change to Yes
- Connected Key List: Copy & Paste: hold|1;bxfer|2;xfer|3;conf|4
Click on the Regional tab.
Control Timer Values (sec) section.
1. Change Interdigit Short Timer to '9'.
Then scroll down to Miscellaneous and add/change the below details.
- Time Zone: GMT
- Ignore DHCP Time Offset: No
- Daylight Saving Time Rule: Copy & Paste: start=3/-1/7/2:0:0;end=10/-1/7/2:0:0;save=1:0:0
- Locale: en-GB
Click on the System tab.
Under the first section System Configuration, enter a strong Admin Password, and enter a strong User Web Password. This will ensure your handset stays secure.
*IMPORTANT* Do not forget your Admin Password, if you do there is no way to retrieve this password, and no way to factory reset your handset.
Next, scroll down to Optional Network Configuration, and add the following time servers.
- Primary NTP Server: 0.uk.pool.ntp.org
- Secondary NTP Server: 1.uk.pool.ntp.org
This will ensure the phone's clock stays synchronised to our servers and daylight saving time is adjusted automatically.
Click on the Ext 1 tab.
Under NAT Settings change the following settings to YES:
- NAT Mapping Enable: yes
- NAT Keep Alive Enable: yes
Next, scroll down Call Feature Settings, and add the following settings:
- Mailbox ID: Your SiPalto Extension Number
- Voice Mail Server: Your SiPalto Server Address
Then in the next section Proxy and Registration add the following:
- Proxy: Your SiPalto Server Address
- Register Expires: 300
Next, scroll down to Subscriber Information and add the following:
- User ID: Your SiPalto Username
- Password: Your SiPalto Password
- Auth ID: Your SiPalto Username
- Use Auth ID: yes
Then, under Audio Configuration change the following:
- Preferred Codec: G711a
- Secondary Preferred Codec: G711u
- Third Preferred Codec: G729a
Finally, under Dial Plan add the paste in the following:
- Dial Plan: [x*].
Click the ‘Submit All Changes’ button at the bottom. Your handset will then reboot and should come online with all the correct settings, this reboot process should take no more than 90 seconds.
Article is closed for comments.